The best ice creams in Croatia (interview)
![]() |
| Friendly owner - Łukasz (Luka) |
Ambitious, talented and brave - that's how I would describe Luka (the Polish man) in a few words, who opened his own ice cream and cake shop in Split. His staff love him and his customers are delighted with what his company offers. LUKA Ice Cream & Cakes wins the hearts and palates not only of the Croatian people, but also of people all over the world! Whoever has tasted his ice cream and other delicacies always comes back for more. What is the secret? What is his story? You can find the answers and more in the following interview with this incredibly interesting man.
Poljakinja in Croatia> First, the standard question - how did it all start?
Luka> I came to Dalmatia on a one month vacation and I was wondering what to do with my life. I had the idea to open something in either Warsaw or in Split. After experiencing the beautiful sunshine and sea, I decided to open in Croatia and make Split my home. Whilst I was on vacation, I struggled to find authentic, homemade ice cream and cakes. I would usually throw them away, half-eaten. I instinctively felt that my cakes and ice creams could be a hit here in Croatia.
Poljakinja> What do you miss from Poland in Croatia?
Luka> There are a few things! For sure I miss Polish fruits such as black currants, red currants and gooseberries. Particularly, we have more forest fruits in Poland and I miss them here! These are fruits that I love but I cannot find them in Split. If I could lay my hands on them I could make such wonderful ice creams from them! I’ve also found that the season for strawberries is too short here. The price of ingredients is 50% more expensive here. The rent and cost of loving is higher in Split than in Zagreb. Despite these things, what’s most important to me is that my shop is accessible to everyone. I don't want my cake shop to be something that’s exclusive and only for chosen people. I want everyone to be able to find something for themselves. With this approach and philosophy, the prices of cakes vary from 8kn to 25kn.
![]() |
| Famous Croatian desert: Sirnica |
PL> I have to admit that for a long time I was looking for excellent ice cream such as yours in Croatia and it was really hard to find. Your ice cream with its natural and fresh taste is probably the best in Croatia that I have tried. Which idea came first: the ice creams or the cakes?
Luka> First, it was ALL about the ice cream! Over time we started to make more cakes and our guests kept asking for more... So we developed and diversified our cake menu. At this point we’re even baking bread onsite and opening a bakery. We are always testing out new recipes and we’re delighted to receive feedback from our visitors and loyal customers.
![]() |
| Crispy Bread - kruh |
PL> So it seems Luka’s is continually expanding! :) Here people can get ice cream with different flavours every day! You have ice cream flavours such as lavender and honey, rosemary and yogurt. Each day brings different flavours! Where did you get such inspiration to make ice cream that would incorporate carrots with oranges, or salty crackers and caramel. Where does that inspiration come from?
Luka> Yogurt and rosemary came to me when I was here on vacation. Rosemary is everywhere! Yogurt and honey are also very popular. There’s no reason why standard Dalmatian flavours shouldn't be used in ice cream. We take our inspiration from the environment and we work with the seasons. This means that you will find fresh figs in our ice cream when it comes into season or ice cream and cakes made with carob. It’s fun to show people that rosemary or lavender can be used for ice creams, cakes, bread. More recently we made rose ice cream on Valentines Day! We are showing our visitors and regular customers that things can be done differently.
PL> Well said! Are all the ingredients fresh? Is it true that you go to the local open market every day and choose inspiring, aromatic and fresh products?
Luka> Yes, it's true. Of course it's easier to do it during the season. Out of the season it is much harder. Each day we make cakes and desserts. We never freeze our cakes. Everything is fresh.
Luka> Yes, it's true. Of course it's easier to do it during the season. Out of the season it is much harder. Each day we make cakes and desserts. We never freeze our cakes. Everything is fresh.
![]() |
| Main location |
PL> Where can we find your ice cream shops in Split? Is there a plan to make a branch in Poland?
Luka> No. We are here in Split (Ul. Petra Svačića 2), and this is the main location. We can also be found in Joker shopping centre with different kinds of ice cream and cakes on offer. We are currently expanding with Luka’s Cafe. At this new location there will be a terrace which will give more space to customers wanting to sit and chat. Not only will you find ice cream and cakes at Luka’s Cafe, we will be adding pancakes to our menu. We believe that they will be like no other in Split.
PL> Does this imply a Polish pancake recipe because I noticed that Croatian and Polish pancakes taste differently?
Luka> Yes, yes. Above all, pancakes must have taste! The filling should only be the addition to an already tasty pancake. Here people usually put the accent on the filling and not the pancake itself. You lose the whole composition in the end. The pancake has to be good in itself first and foremost. The new cafe will also serve breakfast. During the season, ice cream and cakes as well as salads, cold platters, wine and cocktails will be on offer. At the moment we are intensively preparing for the opening of the cafe (on Poljana Tina Ujevica 2).
PL> Let's talk now a little bit about the team. I heard that there are about 20 people working here and that it's an international group of people from different parts of the world. Is this true?
Luka> Yes. I have two people from the Ukraine. There are also people from Russia, Albania, Bosnia, Brazil, Ecuador and France. And obviously Poland - me!
![]() |
| A Croatian and French |
Luka> Yes, yes! My baker Bruno is french.
PL> I knew it! (laughs) So everything is tastefully arranged! Will pancakes be served sweet and salty?
Luka> Yes, pancakes will be in both versions. We will also have salads and creme soups made from carrots and pumpkins in our offer... crazy flavours (laughs).
PL> O! That's a great slogan! (laughs)
Luka> Yes! I hate boredom and so do my employees. I give them the freedom to express themselves, "if you have an idea - do it!". I love working with creative people. That's why if they want to do something we will talk together about their idea and agree on what the final result should be. This works excellently! It is creative work and artistry. I can't imagine having the same cakes on offer all the time because then the job starts being boring. I'm a cook and a gastronome, so I prefer to cook rather than to bake. That's why I worked all around the world in the kitchen. But being a pastry chef is the same as being a cake maker or a cook - it is all art.
PL> Travelling and working all over the world! That sounds very interesting. Where exactly did you gain your skills?
Luka> I worked in France, England, Ireland and Poland... I also worked in Italy. During my studies I went to Greece and put my skills to practice. During that time I saw new things and gathered inspiration.
PL> Did your adventure with gastronomy begin earlier or in college, which you graduated in..?
Luka> In Poznan. I have been in gastronomy since I was a child. My adventure with gastronomy began when I started working in a restaurant as a waiter and fell in love with this kind of work. I went to England where I worked in the kitchen. Later, I decided to study in this field but I have been in the sweet business since I was a child because my father is a pastry chef.
PL> On the internet people can find very good reviews of your ice creams, some even say that they are the best in the world!
Luka> This feedback comes from satisfied customers and this makes me really happy! I think we are the best in Croatia and perhaps in some areas in the world! My dream is to have my own farm with chickens, cows, fruits…organic and bio products. But we are operating "polako" (slowly :) ) For now, we are trying to work with people who have household businesses so that we know the products are homemade, of the highest quality and without additives. It's hard to get such products but we manage :)
PL> I think that people feel that you invest your heart into your work, because they are coming back with their families, friends...
Luka> A lot of good things are happening, yes. Our article came out in the papers and a few days ago we were on Radio Split. I am very glad that people appreciate us because actually we are working from our passion. We do it because we love what we do, but we do it for the people as well. It’s no fun having a passion if you cannot share it with others.
Luka> A lot of good things are happening, yes. Our article came out in the papers and a few days ago we were on Radio Split. I am very glad that people appreciate us because actually we are working from our passion. We do it because we love what we do, but we do it for the people as well. It’s no fun having a passion if you cannot share it with others.
PL> It sounds like a dream-job... Thank you very much for the interview!
Luka> It’s my pleasure. Thank you too!
Luka>
This is the first interview from the series: People in Croatia. I found it very, very interesting! No wonder LUKA ICE CREAM & CAKES wins the hearts and palates not only of Croatian people! His staff are happy, life looks tastier, and Split has the best ice cream in the world! I wish Mr Luka further successes and new customers. I can personally certify and definitively recommend Luka Ice Cream & Cakes!
For good measure I recommend that you scroll down for some delicious photos from which you can practically smell freshly baked cakes and other desserts.
You can find me on a Facebook (click here): Polka in Croatia
You can find me on a Facebook (click here): Polka in Croatia
![]() |
| Mrs. Cake Maker and an impressive desert |
![]() |
| A great cake with white chocolate plus a cup of wonderful coffee - what else do you need for happiness? |
![]() |
| Everything is made out of love towards sweets |
![]() |
| The right amount of poppy for making your happy |
![]() |
| The very well-known and popular Makovnjača |
![]() |
| I watched the baking process, I'm sending smells! |
![]() |
| Perfection in every detail! |
![]() |
| A tasty work of art - A fruit version Tiramisu <3 |
![]() |
| Do you know what this is? It is ingeniously served kremšnita! |
![]() |
| The friendly staff sends greetings to You All :) |
- Poljakinja in Croatia, Polish girl in Croatia
















Świetnie, że trafiłam na ten tekst, bo w wakacje wybieram się do Chorwacji i na pewno odwiedzę polską lodziarnię w Splicie :)
OdpowiedzUsuńSuper! Bardzo mnie to cieszy 😉 Prosze potem dac znać jakie będą wrażenia :) czy to na blogu, czy to na FB 😉
Usuń